Doctors and psychologists now readily admit that
there are psychological reasons why people Fall ill.
They have come to realize that a lot of times we become ill
because of certain things that we have allowed in our thought-space.
Our mental state is affecting our physical state,
and therefore a lot of our diseases are psychosomatic.
Here are 10 psychological reasons for falling ill:
1. Unresolved guilt, grief or anger following a tragedy can give rise to illness, viz. self punishment.
2. Stress and bitterness due to caring for a now deceased loved one can cause illness that is an escape from despair.
3. Illness can provide an escape from unhappiness, especially if one is not happy at home or place of work.
4. A disregarded plea for help or a divorce may lead to illness in the heart-broken partner.
5. Families may unknowingly want a member to be ill because by doing so there is balance and happiness amongst members of the family.
6. Families may in knowingly want a member to be ill because by doing so there is balance and happiness amongst members of family.
7. Illness can be means of manipulating loved ones even by allowing the ill person to be dependent and cared for and thus keeping a family member from leaving the home front.
8. Illness can also be a source of punishment to those with whom we are angry, including ourselves.
9. Illness can help one to escape from boredom, loss of meaning and self-worth. The examples of such illness would be the abandoning of home by children, retirement, living in poverty and unemployment.
10. A destroyed or faulty picture embedded in one’s mind can lead to the belief that illness and death would visit at a particular age, as similar thing has happened to another family member.